About the Trustees
Halifax Region – Jennifer Moriarty – firstname.lastname@example.org
Strait Region – Janie Lumsden – email@example.com
Tri-County/South Shore Region – Byron Butt – firstname.lastname@example.org
Chignecto Region – Wade VanSnick – email@example.com
Annapolis Region – Karen Nottage – firstname.lastname@example.org
Cape Breton Region – Joël Chiasson – email@example.com
Staff Liaison Officer – Stacy Samson – firstname.lastname@example.org
Staff Liaison Officer – Kyle Marryatt – email@example.com
If you have any questions, or would like a presentation, please contact the Trustee from your region listed above.
The Role of the Trustee
Each Trustee, upon appointment by the Provincial Executive of the NSTU, must sign a copy of the Trust Deed and abide by the legal requirements of that document. Each Trustee is appointed for a term of five years, and is required to maintain STRICT CONFIDENTIALITY in relation to all matters referred to the Trustees. The Insurance Trustees have the responsibility to operate the plans in the best interest of the members.
The Trustees shall:
- Determine the level of benefits or options to be offered;
- Set up and invest any dividends, refunds or other funds;
- Appoint Consultants/Brokers/Administrators;
- Appoint the underwriting companies;
- Appoint auditors to audit the Trust Fund.
- Review and monitor claims (on a monthly basis);
- Determine the level and method of communications with the members;
- Keep abreast of new products or benefits available on the market;
- Be aware of any changes in federal or provincial legislation that may affect any of the plans regarding taxability;
- Review requests from members for additional or expanded benefits;
- Attend seminars or conferences applicable to the field of insurance;
- Review problem claims to see that the insurance contract is being honoured;
- Do market surveys to determine the competitiveness of the current premium rates.
The Trustees publish a regular column in The Teacher providing current information and updates on insurance for the membership. To peruse these columns, click here.