NSTU Total Care Medical/Dental Program provides coverage for eligible members, their spouses and dependent children to the age of 21, if unmarried and dependent upon the member for maintenance and support. NSTU Group Insurance is supplemental to Provincially Sponsored Medical Plans.
Coverage extended to age 27, if the child is attending an institution of higher learning on a full-time basis, unmarried and dependent upon the member for maintenance and support.
“Dependent Children” means either natural children (legitimate or illegitimate), adopted children, or stepchildren of the member who are:
- under 21 years of age, unmarried and dependent upon you for maintenance and support; or
- under 27 years of age and unmarried and in attendance* at an institution of higher learning and dependent upon you for maintenance and support; or
- any functionally impaired child may remain insured past the maximum age. The child, upon reaching the maximum age, must still be incapable of self-sustaining employment and be completely dependent on you for support and maintenance.
“Over-age Dependents” – On your dependent’s 21st birthday you must provide Johnson Inc. proof of full-time attendance at a post-secondary educational institution.
All dependent children between the ages of 21 and 27 attending an institution of higher learning must provide Johnson Inc. each September with proof of full-time attendance at a post–secondary educational institution.
Proof must clearly indicate your over-age dependent’s name, full-time status and the semester they are attending.
Please forward one of the following examples of adequate proof of overage dependent status:
- invoice of tuition paid confirming full-time status
- a letter from the school confirming full-time status (any associated
charges are your responsibility)
- timetable of courses confirming full-time status
Indicate on proof of full-time status, your name plus professional number.
On-line learning reviewed on an individual basis*.
If your over-age dependent discontinues enrolment in a formal education program or graduates, you must notify Johnson Inc. immediately to terminate over-age coverage.
Claims for “Over-Age Dependent” children cannot be processed by Medavie Blue Cross until the “Over-Age Dependent” is registered with Johnson Inc.
Your over-age dependent can use your benefit card. An additional card can be issued upon your request.
Insured dependents who reside outside of the Atlantic Provinces may be required to submit expenses for reimbursement.
If you have any questions regarding the above, please call the Administrator, Johnson Inc., at 453-9543 or 1-800-453-9543 (toll-free).
Visit the Johnson Inc. website: www.johnson.ca
Further details can be found by visiting the Johnson Inc. Members-Only website.